Thursday, November 5, 2009

Giving Back Through Speaking

Hey Everyone,

Here at Professional Socialites we truly believe in giving back to our community and our Alma Marta, University of Houston (GO COOGS!), so we are doing our part to encourage other students to follow their dreams.  As a graduate of the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management at U of H, I had the opportunity to speak in my former professor's class on how to start a small business in the special events industry. I was so honored when I received the invitation to speak but extremely nervous, especially since I just graduated in May of 2008, but once I got in front of the class it was like being a student again expect this time... I wasn't getting graded. The class was very attentive and I was proud to be able to share my story and experiences with those I once called peers. They were so excited when they realized how young we were when we started our business and I truly believe it sparked something in those who weren't sure what would become of their goals. The class clearly enjoyed it because I have been invited to come back and speak every semester!! Yay!!

On the 16th of this month I will speak at U of H again. This time for the NPHC (National Pan Hellenic Council) and Immanuel Educational Services, Inc., a non-profit org that focuses on teaching high schoolers about financial literacy, as they present Entrepreneurship: From Idea to Implementation. This will be a panel discussion on what it took to become an entrepreneur. The panel will consist of those new to entrepreneurship, those with years of experience, and even someone who went about it the wrong way and lot everything. I hope that this event will really touch someone in the audience who has an idea but thinks they are too young. If you have a passion for something age should NEVER be a factor! Make your dream and reality and remember what AND who helped you get there!

I didn't take pictures at the first speaking but I'll try to remember this time. If you're in Houston come show support! Click here for more info! Stay Tuned!!


Blissfully,
Crystal

0 comments:

Post a Comment